Saturday, September 17, 2005

Day 15 - Family

Sadly, we spent most the morning slowly packing up our things for the return trip to the United States. My head swam as I spread my purchases out on my bed and realized how much I spent on so little; roughly 120 pounds on pieces of paper and some tea things. Using plastic shopping bags and clothing, I gently wrapped and stuffed my new teapot and the six teacups that I bought for myself and others. I thanked God that I finished most of the books that I brought, because I could pack them in my suitcase to leave room in my carry-on for breakables. There is no way that I am trusting those baggage handlers with my teacups!

Since it was late in the day before we left the house, we visited something close to home. Looking through our guidebooks, we chose Audley End. We were planning on going there the first week without Daddy, but had to skip it in deference to other exciting things. It all worked out because we had a wonderfully relaxing afternoon there with Daddy.

Walking through the remarkable Jacobean mansion, looking at the previous owner’s tremendous collection of stuffed birds from around the world, strolling through the various beautiful gardens, and exploring the grounds took about six hours. The flowers were at their peak, and the day, though a little on the chilly side, was bright and sunny. The house and location didn't matter much...we just wanted to be together for the afternoon in peace. Although our carefully laid plans for the day did not work out, a day together in a gorgeous setting was the best way to gather and bond as a family before we go our separate busy ways at home again.

But this year I do not intend to let my family life fall to the wayside as it did the last. Just as during the spring semester I worked on balancing a job and school, this time I will focus on striking a balance between family and school. My grades are just as important as ever (and this new semester will be difficult, I promise you!), but this summer has made me remember what I lost by ignoring those around me. It doesn’t have to be a huge amount of time; perhaps fifteen-twenty minutes an evening drinking tea and chatting together.

No comments: